How to Get the Raise You Deserve

3

Do you want to make more money? Discussing paychecks and salaries is often a workplace no-no. Do you wonder if your co-worker is making more than you? It’s possible. Or maybe everyone at your job makes roughly the same salary, but you feel that your 40 hours of work is worth more than you’re currently being paid. It turns out you’re not alone in feeling undervalued when you see your paycheck each month.

An Indeed study found that only 19% of U.S. workers are comfortable with their present salary. That leaves the other 81% of us wishing someone would “show me the money!” In that same study, over half the workers said they would take a new job if it meant a bigger paycheck.

Employers know that many workers are not satisfied with their pay. Most are aware that lower wages can lead to more employee turnover. This give you a powerful bargaining chip when it’s time to ask your boss for a cost-of-living raise.

Always be ready to give your boss concrete facts about why your performance means you deserve a salary jump. Have hard numbers ready to show the difference you’ve made in both growth and the bottom line for the company. Did you increase sales, bring in new clients, or stop inefficiency? Toot your own horn. But also be open to hearing what expectations your company may have for continued education or certifications to justify the promotion you’re looking for.

If getting a raise at your current job seems like a pipe dream, but a larger paycheck is still your goal, it may be time for you to considering switching careers.

Growth industries like tech, green industries, and healthcare are all excellent choices if you’re ready to try a new field. One of the main reasons is that training for specialized career paths in those industries can often be done online or at night, either part-time or full-time, allowing you to continue working until you’re ready for your career move.

It’s important to weigh your options carefully before making any career move, but it’s also important to make sure you’re being paid your full salary potential.